My Quomi.it Review – Food Prep Service in Italy
A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was trying out Quomi.it – I’ve had a few deliveries to test out so I thought I’d follow up now with my findings.
Every Tuesday, Quomi puts forth about 7 new menus for the following week’s order. I have found that the “best” of the recipes are often taken quickly, so I make sure to log in on Tuesday to get my order situated. We purchase the kits for 2 servings. I’ve found this to be very reasonably priced, but my Italian friends (who interestingly seem quite enamored with the idea overall), insist that it’s too expensive. There is a benefit to purchasing the maximum allowed recipes each week. Here is the current pricing scheme:
2 Portions per Meal
4 Portions per Meal
2 menu minimum
2 menu minimum
So, as you can see, the maximum charge for 2 people is 44€ per week, and the maximum for 4 people is 64€ per week. I looked at Blue Apron as a comparision. They have a 3 meal plan for 2 people at $59.94 for 3 meals (39€ on Quomi) or a 4 meal plan for 4 people at $139.85 (64€ on Quomi), and it seems clear that as a convenience spoiled American, there is no question as to whether or not I would find this to be a reasonable price! Where Quomi seems to really be a bargain is in the additional meals. I can barely purchase the food myself to cook at that price, and of course the convenience and avoiding the “what do I cook this tonight/this week” seals the deal.
So far, Quomi has been very good to work with, and in the 3 weeks we’ve purchased from them I have yet to actually pay full price! I got 20€ off my first order with a coupon, and then I found a 20€ off two weeks coupon. Being a coupon search fan, I’m likely to find more! So far, here are our puchases
My first week I was late to the game and only purchased two items. I had a 10€ coupon, so each meal was 11€. (Generally I don’t see the need to play the “5.50€” game by saying what each person paid – I fed two of us for essentially 11 bucks). Bread was included. I threw in a salad for each meal.
- Farfalle con salmone fresco, erba cipollina e semi di papavero
- Butterfly pasta with fresh salmon, chives and poppy seed
- Tacchino impanato alla paprika con carciofi viola
- Breaded turkey with paprika and artichokes
The recipes were generally easy to follow (considering they are in Italian – LOL), and I felt like I prepared the dishes up to the standards expected!
The menus for week two were:
- Bocconcini di pollo con patate e salsa di yogurt e salvia
- Chicken nuggets with potatoes and yogurt/sage sauce
- Paglia e fieno alla scalogno e ricotta di capra
- Literally hay and straw with shallots and ricotta di capra – a fresh pasta dish that was delicious!
- Casseruola di vitello con patate, cipolle e pomodori
- A nice casserole of veal with potato, onion and tomato
- Cous cous integrale con broccolo romanesco, olive nere e caciottina
- Whole wheat cous cous with broccoli romanesco (that great “fibonacci broccoli), back olives and caciottina cheese
Again, these were all very easy to make, and we had no “flubs”.
SDA (package delivery service) fail! We were to have received our shipment last Thursday. It arrived today (Monday). As you might imagine, a package with dry ice set to keep it cold overnight did not survive a 4 day delay! Quomi was quick on Friday to credit my account. I have the recipes, and I suspect I will give them a try over the course of the next few weeks. They are:
- Piadina con crudo, burrata e friggitelli
- A flatbread wrap with prosciutto, burrata mozzarella and roasted peppers
- Penne al ragù bianco de polle e lime
- Penne pasta with a chicken/lime white ragù
- Salmone alla piastra con salsa all’aglio dolce e caffè
- Salmon and spinach with a sweet garlic & coffee cream sauce
- Polpettone di vitello al curry con spinaci
- Veal curried meatloaf with spinach
Bummer! It was good though to see how quickly and efficiently Quomi handled the customer service issue. It seems that the many holidays and festivals lately caused a backlog of package deliveries. Alas, perishables don’t work well with delays!
So, thus far I’m happy with the service, and suspect that we will continue to use it for awhile!
My Quomi.it Review – Food Prep Service in Italy — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>